Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Mind Over Matter

I don’t mind so it doesn’t matter. I love that joke. It is amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it. Or more accurately in my case, when you don’t. Today I was feeling a little frustrated at work and really needed to burn off some energy. The solution? Bicycle approximately forty miles. It went something like this….
Midmorning Eileen and I decided to take one of our strolls outside the bunker. I have really come to treasure these moments because it is a nice break from the day and a beautiful setting. Part way through….
Eileen: “I am thinking of taking the afternoon off.”
Me: “Great idea, wanna go for a ride.”
Eileen: “Ummm…. ok.”
So we take care of a few things, send email notifications and leave. I go home, saddle up and head to her house. We head down Harding, then across Lusters Gate, a short side trip down some road whose name escapes me, up Ellett and back to her house. She has plans for the evening and needs to recharge so I leave her there. (Thanks Eileen, I really enjoyed the chat.) I decide I still have energy to burn so it’s off to the CRC to visit the Home Office and ID. First at the Home Office I visit shortly with various fellow ACIers and talk to Henry for a bit. Then I stroll over to ID and as usual I am greeted by warmth and happiness. Every time I go there I hear the theme song to Cheers in my head. (They should have Guinness there.) We chat for a bit then it’s time to leave. Still need to burn so it is out the Huckleberry to the mall and back. I pause at the library to take stock of my situation. Yup, still need to rock but my stomach politely reminds me that we have not had lunch. Off to RunAbout Sports for energy bars. I am also running low on liquid so back to the mini-mart at Foxridge where Gatorade and water are procured. Armed with food, drink and a waning but still well stocked pool of pent up energy off I go. But where to now? Well I have always wanted to ride to the river and back. And so it was. This may have been a bit of a mistake but when I got to the rocks and sat down to drink in the wonder that is nature I knew it was a good idea. I found my calm listening to the rapids, gazing at the hills and breathing deeply the clean air of the county. This is why I don’t want to move away. Unfortunately the sun was setting so after refueling it was back on the road. It is time to go home where Guinness is waiting. (Thankfully I had stocked up last night.) I reach home as the sun is setting and feel glad to be alive. (But still not as happy to see it as I was in my last post.) Energy finally depleted it is time to rest, drink Guinness and recover. See ya tomorrow, I am pretty sure that I will sleep very well tonight.

By the way, I am rethinking my stance on not wearing padded shorts. We’ll see how I feel tomorrow.

And whomever added the comment to my “She’s back” post, nice. :)

2 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger Jilian said...

So how was the climb from the river? Anything like Happy Hollow?

Sounds like a great afternoon!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Joel said...

The climb out was not nearly as bad as I expected. Don't get me wrong it was long and very tiresome but not as steep or as hard as I thought it would be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home