Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Better

This past Monday and Tuesday I was feeling rather depressed for reasons unknown to me. Maybe it was a hang over from the Tech loss, not having a girlfriend, not winning the lottery, not seeing Lil-M for three days or maybe it is because I have no idea what I want to do with my life. Or maybe I was simply having a few bad days as happens once in while. Tuesday morning when I awoke at 10am and realized that it was going to be a second day of feeling melancholy I decided to do something about it. I decided that I needed inspiration, someone to provide an example that would make me strive to be better and shake me out of this morose mood. But who could do that? I wanted someone I could look up to who was like me. Then it hit me, Gandhi. He had no hair and wore glasses as do I. We are practically like brothers. Here is the person who can lift my spirits. So I ran to Blockbuster and rented the movie.

Ok seriously, I have been thinking for some time of watching the movie again and my mood conveniently gave me a secondary purpose other than just wanting to reacquaint myself with a legend. And it did work; afterwards I felt much better and ready to take on the world. I was thinking that there are some movies (or stories) that should be revisited periodically. There are events, times and people that should be refreshed in our memories from time to time. For that reason I have also been thinking of renting Schindler’s List and will probably do so within the week.

I saw the movie Good Night and Good Luck on Monday. I have not decided yet if it fits in this category of movie but I suspect that it may. The movie is about Edward R. Murrow’s battle against Senator Joseph McCarthy. It borders between documentary and reenactment in that a lot of the film uses footage from the period instead of having actors act the scenes out. The movie was co-written and directed by George Clooney. Part of the reason he wanted to do this film was in response to being called unpatriotic because he, and other actors, opposed the Iraq war. The use of the unpatriotic label was sadly a pretty good parallel to what McCarthy did. That was not the only reason the film was made though. Whatever the reasons it was made it touched on the fear that McCarthy created through his behavior and I think is worth seeing for that reason alone.

Well, time for bed. Good night and good luck.

“You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi

3 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger ML said...

Good post Joel! I didn't realize the little story about George Clooney, that is quite interesting. Thanks for meeting us for breakfast this morning, it was quite enjoyable!!

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Nastanis said...

Hope lil-M helped your spirits a bit. She has a knack of doing that to people. The Gandhi quote at the bottom is so common, but yet continues to be inspiring when we look at our crazy world and feel that our actions don't even slightly have an impact. E.g. does it matter that I try to walk instead of drive? Not really, but it's a change I'd like to see in the world, and I can't really expect others to ever jump on board and participate if I'm not willing to do it myself.
Joel, Oh wise movie watcher...keep the inspiration coming.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger r.m said...

Still have never seen Gandhi - I'll have to add it to my Netflix queue. By the way, I've got Seven Samurai waiting at home if you want to watch it over the weekend...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home